Classroom Rules for Teachers
Ideas for Classroom Rules
Following are some ideas for classroom rules that teachers can use as they create their own rules. Ideally you should keep classroom rules down to a manageable limit of 3-8 rules.
- Come to class on time. Standing outside the door and rushing in after the bell has begun to ring will constitute a tardy. You must be INSIDE the door when it begins ringing to be counted on time.
- Begin the start up activity within 1 minute after the tardy bell. Directions will be on the projection screen or the board. Please do not wait for me to remind you to begin since I need to take roll and attend to other duties for the first few minutes of the period. When I begin class, directions for the start up may be taken down, so don’t delay.
- Remain in your assigned seat unless you have permission to get up . Throw scraps away at the end of the period on your way out.
- Do not eat candy or other food in class unless you have been given special permission. School sponsored sales will be permitted during the last 5 minutes of class IF we are finished with the lesson and permission is granted. Be sure to ask first.
- Bring required materials every day unless you are otherwise directed.
- Talk only when permitted.Be aware of the situation since quiet talking is allowed in some situations and speaking to the entire group without raising your hand may be allowed in others. I will remind you once and expect compliance.
- Use polite speech and body language. Unkind teasing and impolite behavior is unacceptable. Please do not ask to step outside to spit.
- Do not cheat. Students caught cheating will receive a zero and a phone call home. Both the student who shares his work for an independent assignment AND the person who copies it will suffer the same consequences. I expect you to do your own work and to be sure no one can copy it.
- Follow the teacher’s directions immediately. Keep me happy and I’ll do a better job for you!